If properly executed, courtship would greatly reduce the chances of divorce occurring in a marriage. Christian courtship is different from any other kind of courtship, and if properly executed, would take care of over 75 per cent of the causes of divorce. This therefore makes a good courtship important to the survival of any christian marriage. This article will outline 17 important tips that will make your courtship a good foundation for marriage.
1. Consider courtship only at a time when you are ready to get married. It is no child's play.
2. Enter into courtship only with someone you would consider marrying. You must only go into courtship with someone God has approved for you for a life partner.
3. You are in courtship to confirm that God has really ordained you getting married to this fellow. In courtship you have to authenticate and be sure that God really ordained the relationship.
4. Take time through prayer to discern God's will for the new family you are about to start.
5. Base your courtship in the family. Family member must be involve. As much as possible, spend time with each other's families. You need need them in the marriage.
6. Emotional Intimacy; Guard your heart and do not allow your emotions to drive you to sin during your courtship. Give yourself time to know each other.
7. Choose the right time in the relationship to reveal intimate secrets. This might save you regrets if the relationship does not work.
8. Physical Intimacy; Mutually decide what your limits would be. Write them down and make them clear from day one.
9. Save the first kiss; save the first kiss till after you have said. "I do". Kissing can ignite romance and could mean danger.
10. Hugging; Decide whether you should hug and in what context. Hugging is an acceptable and beautiful expression of affection, support and love. However when prolonged, it can ignite erotic feelings.
11. Choose where and when to spend time alone together. This should not be late at night and or in lonely places.
12. Resolve with your courting partner never to give in to sin.
13. Don't give rise to scandal. Don't give people a reason to suspect you are having a sexual relationship with your spouse-to-be, even though you might not.
14. Be accountable; Make a list together of resolutions and guidelines for your courtship so you can use it to watch your actions.
15. Get a mentor. The mentor should be married and well acquainted with the Word of God so he/she can guide and advice you appropriately.
16. Create time to pray individually and together with your partner.
17. Be active in your local assembly. Together, participate in church activities. This would help you understand how your partner behaves in a group.